Thursday, August 27, 2015

Why Are They Here?

Why Are They Here?
The hip is healing nicely and I barely feel it today. I figure I survived it before, so I should be able to survive it again, hopefully headed for happier outcomes.

A couple of things I've heard this morning should be talked about. My music's being criticized again. Like most musicians, I can't make every song a masterpiece. I'm sure I write the odd tune that fails. I think my best songs strike an ideal balance between rhythm and melody.

Someone said I was too 'basic'. That might be true of some of my older failures, but my best songs are original sounding. Songs that are too simple sound derivative, while songs that are too original tend to be scattered and confusing. The melody in my songs exists mostly in the singing and the bass line. If I played leads on top of it, it would sound cluttered. That's why I play chords, which are also the strongest accompaniment for my singing.

Someone said I'm flat. The only song I practice with my guitar tuned town to D# is Hairball.

My lyrics are consistently good, I think.

Perhaps it's too late to criticize my songs when they've already been on the radio. But someone said 'I like My Song 1'. Was that you, Ellen? All finished bashing me on TV and now you've moved to the internet? I need a lot of songs so that I can work on the best ones. Out of my last seven songs, I'm only focusing on three or four, but this new one is developing into the ultimate party tune.

And here's a weird one: they've assigned me to something. That sounds like career talk. I'm on disability and just naturally expressing myself through my music and writing. This blog is my real life and probably better than any popular reality show.

I have kept to myself and worked to generate all this material since 2010. Any public discussion about me or this work that excludes me, especially after I was excluded from a worldwide party made out of my songs and scripts, must be considered both illegitimate and unfair.

  
More Statements Scripts Songs
© 2015. Statements by David Skerkowski. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment