Thursday, September 17, 2015

Laundry Makes the World Go Around

Laundry Makes the World Go Around
Some people think that the only part of our urban economy that profits from the huge narcotics industry is the public sector's social programs for the poor and disadvantaged. This is a very myopic viewpoint. Of course, trafficking narcotics is a crime which can cause honest citizens a lot of grief, but the attitude among those with the highest responsibility seems to be that anything which makes money is acceptable. You may think that your job doesn't depend on the narcotics industry but that is because you are not, as Dostoevsky urged in Notes from the Underground, 'looking into it more carefully.' Money changes hands in a way that connects us all. A drug dealer may use money from his illicit trade to buy a car. That makes the car dealership his dependent. If he makes enough money, he might open a small, legitimate business to launder his money. That makes honest workers his dependents. And public assistance recipients are not the only ones who buy drugs. Dealers probably couldn't stay in business without the demand for their product from regularly paid workers. Above all, while the poor are often blamed for this problem, none of them can afford to import heroin from Asia or cocaine from South America. That takes a person with considerable financial resources, one whose money would endow him with a 'respectable' place in the community.

The way my popular online posts have been treated over the years provides a text book example of how our government and business leaders overlook moral faults in an enterprise that promises to generate vast sums of money. My return to the internet to reclaim my property has been greeted with fear and revulsion by all those whose livelihoods depended on entertainment fraud, many of whom are in a position to turn the whole world against me. By taking back my scripts from the TV, I not only crippled the broadcast syndication schedule, but I halted the clanging sales of many popular DVD's. By repossessing my songs, I shut down a whole chain of new rock stations and sent countless workers to the unemployment line, as well as terminating the booming sales of popular recordings. The way I see it is that if my work is that commercial, I should not have to visit a soup line following my post of this note. There is no excuse for such costly, arrogant mistakes as those which put my work into the hands of so many vicious predators. If the industry wants to make money from my efforts, it has yet to prove that it wants to do so honestly and fairly. Perhaps this kind of criminality would be best confined to their ostensible interests in shadier fields like narcotics or prostitution.

[4:38pm:] As I've been saying all along, I will need much of this content in court to help fully assess the harm that has been visited upon me by these monstrous frauds and their corporate puppet masters. A good example of such harm is my compromised response to laughter from strangers. Thanks to this ugly, broadcast supported crime, I often feel threatened by laughter, such as the laughter that always chimes in with my appearance here in the public library by suspicious looking strangers who appear to be getting it from whatever they're looking at on the internet. This very personal injury alone must be worth a fortune in court. And when I am finally compensated, maybe all the ones who love to laugh so much at a victim like me will receive a good, just taste of their own cruelty at the sound of my final laugh.

I can see a relationship between the crime of narcotics sales and the crime of fraud with my work. Both offer pleasant feeling falsehoods to spare their consumers from facing truth. It is a short term strategy which is doomed to fail over a long enough period of time. If more of us were willing to simply face truth as I have been forced to do, as one withheld from any material comforts that might provide me shelter from it, then more of us would come to see truth's beauty and we would be far less dependent on narcotics or televised lies. The way the industry has been acting, I would almost think that they fear such an outcome. They seem to want us to be as addicted to their lies as a street person to his fix. Where is Jay Leno now? Egypt? No? Madagascar? Sadly, there is a demand for such disinformation, one that promises to reduce its consumers to soulless hulks before their time in this world has fatefully concluded.

The old man who lived downstairs died. I sensed the spiritual departure of someone in my building in the last while, but I guessed wrong when I asked our worker about it today. This kindly old man lived his whole, long life without ever becoming rich and famous and was one of the nicest people I've ever met. While riches and fame may await for me, they may also betray me when I must leave this world. I expect that anyone who receives his glory in this world will pay for it in the next one, though I will at least try to aim for an eternity with the Lord, in whatever humble position I must accept as the price of my admission.

  
More Statements Scripts Songs
© 2015. Statements by David Skerkowski. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment